For our Fall 2012 More Than Enough Love Day, we will be serving at the Houston Food Bank on Saturday, October 27, from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm.
Here are the details:
1) What will the day's schedule look like? At 7:30 am on Saturday, October 27, please park in the parking lot of St. John's Presbyterian (the church right next to Westbury UMC on W. Bellfort). All together, at 8:00 am, we'll load up on two buses to ride to the Houston Food Bank. We'll return by 1:30 pm.
2) What kind of work will we be doing at the Houston Food Bank? Following a brief volunteer orientation, we'll be given our assignments for the day. We will not know exactly what we are doing until we get there, but rest assured that there will be opportunities for everyone ages 8 and up!
3) What should I wear? For safety reasons, you should wear clothes appropriate for work in a warehouse. Dress in long pants and closed-toe shoes. Please do not wear jewelry and do not bring bags or purses. (We will lock these up at Westbury UMC for everyone before departure.) We ask that everyone wear their More Than Enough Love t-shirt, and we will have limited quantities available for purchase ($8 each).
4) Can my child volunteer with me? Children and youth ages 8-17 can serve with a completed minor liability waiver form.
5) Will childcare be available for younger children? Yes! Childcare will be provided at Westbury UMC. Drop-off will be at the covered entrance by the Sanctuary (pull your car around on the W. Bellfort side). Parents should pack a lunch for their children. Please remember we are a NUT-FREE zone. Please label your child's items and provide a working phone number so that the parent can be reached in the case of an emergency. Please also included any special instructions for your child's care. Sunscreen and insect repellent should be applied before drop-off, as we will be spending some time outdoors on the playground. Contact Jana Kincannon, Director of Children's Ministries, at 713-723-0175 or firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Thursday, Oct. 25, with your childcare reservations. Please include your child’s name and date of birth (including year).
6) Can I just show up on the day of the event to volunteer? "Walk-ins" are welcome, but you will have to sign a waiver and take the time to be processed at the food bank before you can volunteer with the rest of us. It would really speed things up if you could sign up beforehand and print out your volunteer badge.
7) Will lunch be provided? Yes! We'll have lunch together at the food bank where we will have a devotional time at our tables.
Please visit the Houston Food Bank volunteer scheduler website to register as a volunteer. Be sure to use the Group ID: 102712wbumPam. You will need access to a valid email address where the Houston Food Bank will send you a confirmation and name badge to print.
For more details, contact Amy Behrman at email@example.com.
Posted on Thu, September 6, 2012
by Kelsey Johnson filed under