Director of Youth Ministries Job Description
The mission of Westbury UMC is to make followers of Jesus Christ who transform the community and the world through God’s love. Westbury UMC values multicultural inclusiveness and hands-on ministry with our neighbors both near and far away. We are passionate about intergenerational ministry that allows pastors, staff and laity to partner together in ministry.
Seeking a full time Director of Youth Ministries to serve the church by developing, and implementing a comprehensive youth ministry by providing leadership in the areas of; worship, discipleship, mission and outreach while serving as a spiritual leader and mentor. The Youth Director will seek to foster an intentional Christian community of young people dedicated to growing deeper in faith, promote their knowledge of the Word of God and reaching out to the community.
As a minimum, the director of youth ministries needs to demonstrate the following:
A personal commitment to Jesus Christ as well as a strong desire to serve within the church
Embrace United Methodist doctrine and theology
A sense of calling to youth ministry
Ability to work with youth and young adults
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to plan, organize, and lead projects and activities related to youth ministries.
Ability to recruit and coordinate volunteers
A bachelor’s degree plus certification and/or training in youth ministry and/or comparable experience preferred.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Ensure alignment of programs and events to the mission and vision of the church.
- Help plan, develop and implement all aspects of a comprehensive youth ministry that seeks to fully integrate youth into the life of the congregation including; worship, community ministries, global ministries, and discipleship.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Nurture parental support by developing relationships and effectively communicating pertinent information for youth and families. Support parents in fulfilling their Christian parenting roles.
- Communicate with the staff and congregation in such a way that they are informed and enthusiastically supportive of Youth Ministry.
- Provide consistent and frequent pastoral care to youth including; lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, etc.)
- Coordinate and teach the Confirmation program in partnership with the pastors and volunteers.
- Coordinate young adults to help mentor the youth and bridge the transition between youth group and young adult ministry.
- Organize all aspects of Sunday School classes, Sunday evening and weekday evening activities, including recruitment and training of volunteers, and purchase of appropriate curriculum.
- Participate and encourage the students to participate in Texas Annual Conference camping ministries.
- Help develop youth who are passionate about telling others about their faith and enthused to invite their friends to church.
- Develop and oversee the youth ministry budget; manage fees and permission forms for events and trips in a timely fashion.
- Participate in continuing education and training opportunities.
- And other duties as directed by the Senior Pastor
Hours and Compensation
This position is full time and will report to the Senior Pastor and SPRC. Hourly and daily commitment of time will vary based on youth activities, regularly scheduled meetings, and the church calendar. Compensation will be discussed.
Send your résumé to Rev. Romonica Malone-Wardley, associate pastor, at email@example.com.
Posted on Thu, August 8, 2013
by Kelsey Johnson