UPDATE (05/06/12): Thank you for supporting our Garage Sale for Orphans. We raised $2,641.55 toward the construction of a safehouse for orphans in Haiti. Glory be to God!
"Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows." - Isaiah 1:17
On Saturday, May 5, 8:00 am–noon, in Humphrey Hall, Westbury UMC will have a churchwide Garage Sale for Orphans with all proceeds going to vulnerable children in Haiti.
Funds will support the building of a safe-house for orphaned children in Ferrier, Haiti, which sits on the border of Haiti and The Dominican Republic. Currently, human trafficking is quite prevalent along this border, as traffickers prey upon poor, vulnerable and abandoned children. For $6,000, Haitian leaders and pastors can construct a safe place for children to live, grow and be educated. The homes will rescue orphans from the streets and keep them out of the hands of human traffickers. Get more details at www.garagesale4orphans.org.
Here are three ways you can help:
1) DONATE. Consider donating some of your belongings--you can purge with a purpose!
- Clothes (especially baby and children’s items)
- Power tools and gardening equipment
- Sporting and workout equipment
- Bicycles and toys
- Electronics (TVs, stereos, computers)
- Books and magazines
- Household items (linens, picture frames, dishes)
- Appliances (refrigerators, toasters, blenders)
- Furniture (chairs, tables, sofas)
- Jewelry (watches, rings)
Drop off items at the church in Room 102. Please notify the church office at 713-723-0175 if you need assistance or use of a pickup truck for transporting items.
- Drop-off times...
- Sunday, April 29: 8:30–10:30 am & 5:00–7:00 pm
- Monday, April 30–Thursday, May 3: 8:30 am–7:00 pm
2) VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME. We need help sorting and setting up all week long. A sign-up sheet is posted outside Room 102 (just across the hall from the Cafe).
3) SHOP AND INVITE SOMEONE. Come shop the sale on Saturday! Only cash will be accepted for payment. Additional monetary donations will also be accepted at the cashier table.
For more information, contact Kelsey Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-723-0175.
Posted on Thu, April 19, 2012
by Kelsey Johnson filed under